Sunday, November 6, 2011

Two apples a day...

I just came back from a run with an excruciating craving for a baked apple.  The problem with baked apples, though, is that they take a long, long time to bake, and if I'm going to spend that much time waiting for something to come out of the oven, I want it to be cake.  I really longed for  the flavor of a good apple, but without all that biting into something hard and slightly cold, and chewing so much, and running the risk of possibly getting sticky apple juice on the sides of my cheeks.

By the way, remember when apples were a little snack you could just eat without a huge commitment?  Are the apples getting bigger or am I shrinking?


Anyway, I put a whole apple in the microwave.  After 45 seconds, it split very neatly along the north-south meridian, which I found interesting, but isn't particularly relevant.  After 30 more seconds, it turned into a baked apple almost like I was imagining.  After I added a little half and half and cinnamon, it was quite delicious, so I made another one.

This time, I wasn't so desperate, so I actually cored it first and carved out little notches in the inner tube into which I stuck cardamon seeds.  All in all, I'd quite recommend it, although I think maybe two in a row is likely the cause of my stomach ache.  Totally worth it.

Okay, this daily posting thing is a challenge, so forgive me if it gets a little dull.

1 comment:

  1. Gran used to core them and fill them with brown sugar and cinnamon and wrap them in a square of pastry sprinkled with with sugar and cinnamon. (yeah, I know, waaaaay too much sugar but soooo good). Unfortunately, I don't know how long they were in the oven.

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited to report that the author Celeste Ng has selected m y modern love essay to read for the Modern Love podcast next week. Suc...