Thursday, July 26, 2012

Karma and the Apple Man


I seem to have weird energy swirling around me that makes everything more complicated than it should be.   Just a quick visit back to the dishwasher, before we move on to the next problem, the computer.  After about a zillion calls, and what R. refers to as, “the homey hookup”, I found someone who will come look at the dishwasher in three weeks, and after his initial visit, he’ll see if he can schedule a repair.  I get the sense that this isn’t how it goes down for other people.   I envision that other people call someone, and it gets resolved.  Pretty quickly. 

When I hear others complain about repair people, their complaint is, “wow, that cost an arm and a leg and it only took them 20 minutes.”  I long to have that complaint.  My complaint is that it’s so hard to have a transaction where I state my problem, someone agrees to fix it, they do, I pay them, and we all move on with our reasonably happy lives.

My MacBook, which has been a great computer in so many ways, has a condition that M. says is a pinched nerve.  I’m pretty sure that’s not an actual thing, but you get the idea.  When I open the laptop to the 90 degree position, the screen goes dark. I have to keep it folded at an acute angle for the screen to light up, which, is giving me slumpy posture and a neck ache.  I have to crouch in order to view the screen.

I search the internet, and learn that it’s probably an inverter cable.  iFixit lists the repair as “difficult.”  I’ve learned my lesson with the faucet, and decide not to tackle this on my own.  I locate someone on Craigslist who offers Apple repair services, and he looks legit.  But there’s something about his post that also conjures up internet dating.  Maybe it’s his picture, which, I dunno, is it normal to include a picture of yourself looking off into the distance, surrounded by water and boats, on an ad for computer repair?  I thought I was on OK Cupid for a second.  

Here’s our correspondence so far, verbatim.  [My editorial comments are bracketed like this.] 

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:49 AM, Betsy wrote:

Hi,

I have a MacBook that's about 3 years old.  It works fine, except that the screen goes dark when it's opened beyond about 90 degrees.  I've looked around on the internet and it sounds like it could be an inverter cable.  Is that something you could diagnose and repair?
Thanks,
Betsy



On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:01 AM, "Dave" wrote:  [Nice! Reply within 15 minutes!]

Betsy,

Thank you for your mail.
Yes, I would be happy to help you with your Macbook. [Yay!]
It is a very common problem. [I have a common problem! Like!]
Let me know what time works well for you.
All the best,
"Dave"

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:16 AM, Betsy wrote:

Hi,
I’m east of Duvall, but could bring it to Kirkland and leave it with you.  How long would you need to have it?  My schedule is a little flexible.
Thanks!
Betsy


On Wednesday, 7/25/12 9:25 AM, "Dave" wrote:  

Betsy,
We can meet up in Carnation if you like.  [Why are we meeting in a city where neither of us live? Didn’t I offer to bring it to Kirkland? Okay, maybe there’s a good reason that he hasn’t named, like he’ll be there picking berries anyway.]
Thursday or Friday works for me.
Let me know.

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:20 AM, Betsy wrote:

"Dave",

Is it something you’d fix on the spot, or do you need to take the computer?  If Carnation is convenient for you, I could meet you there on either of those mornings.  Otherwise, I can bring it to Kirkland.
Thanks,
Betsy



On 7/26/12 7:20 AM, "Dave"  wrote:  [wait, it took almost 24 hours for a reply?]

Betsy,
How about Friday at 10 am in carnation.
I believe there is a Starbucks by the Qfc.  [Does this seem more like an internet date than computer repair to anyone else? Do you guys meet your computer repair people in a coffee shop at a neutral location where neither of you live?  Does that explain the "I don't want to look too eager so I'll wait a day to reply" behavior?]

Dave


On Thursday, Jul 26, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Betsy wrote:


Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I’m still confused, though — will you be able to fix it at Starbucks?  (As I’m sure you can imagine, I’m a little reluctant to hand off my computer to a random stranger in a Starbucks.) Thanks,
Betsy


On Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:52 AM, "Dave" wrote:


Betsy. [So we're at that point now, are we, Dave?  The point where you put a period after my name?  Is that the equivalent of a deep, exasperated sigh?  Are we breaking up, Dave?]  I understand I need to at the least look at it to determine the problem    Then I can order the part. And come to your place an fix it for you  [Wait, you're coming to my house?]  It should be an easy fix   Let me know what you would to do.  [What I would to do, Dave, is just get the little inverter cable replaced without a lot of fussery and home visits.  Is that one of the options?]
David [So, we're at the "David" point now?  Is it something I said?]

Sent from me  [Sent from "me"?  What does that mean?  Shouldn’t this apple repair guy's things be sent from an iPhone?]

Dear readers, do you see what I mean?  Is this how it goes for you?  Should I send the, "wow, you seem like a really nice guy, but I think we're just not able to meet each other's needs" e-mail?  Please advise.













9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do seem to attract some sketchy types! I'd be reluctant to put my beloved MacBook in the hands of an untested person in a Starbucks.

    How about just setting up a Genius Bar appointment at the Apple Store? I'd going to be doing that soon with the slightly defective hand-me-down iPad I got from my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just say no to "David.". You deserve better. Like someone with a nametag, who greets you in a friendly but formal manner and has a boss. yikes and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you have a "geek squad" guy you could call? This guy sounds a little off to me. He didn't ask for a picture did he lol?

    ReplyDelete
  5. David sounds creepy. Aren't there any Apple stores available in the area?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I support the suggestions for the Geniuses at the Mac store. My MacBook did something similar when it was about 3 years old, and they gave me a new one!! Craigslist has its positives. But maybe not in this arena. (name tags and bosses are really effective!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I support the suggestions for the Geniuses at the Mac store. My MacBook did something similar when it was about 3 years old, and they gave me a new one!! Craigslist has its positives. But maybe not in this arena. (name tags and bosses are really effective!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure that "Dave" will be like a bad 1st date, except in addition to never calling you again, he gets to keep the MacBook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd go with the bricks and mortar approach too - a real store with employees and advertising and public space for their customers to visit safely ... it may cost a bit more, but it's worth it. And about the break-up line? You've either had the good luck to have a co-worker fix the problem or dropped and killed the dang thing - either way, you don't require his services any longer :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited to report that the author Celeste Ng has selected m y modern love essay to read for the Modern Love podcast next week. Suc...